The Northern Territory Government is advertising a three year position to coordinate bilingual education in the Northern Territory. Advertised for one week only in the Northern Territory Government Gazette – but apparently that’s standard. Deadline Australia Day 26 January..
A good person in this position could do wonderful things, but they will have to contend with some history.
Job Title: Principal Coordinator Bilingual Education
Designation: Senior Teacher 4
Work Unit: School Education
Position Number: 35174
Responsible To: Executive Director, Schools North
The Principal Coordinator Bilingual Education is the department’s officer responsible for the overall co-ordination and strategic leadership of bilingual education in the Northern Territory and is tasked with leading the development of a strategic framework for bilingual education in the Territory.
As a member of the Schools North team located in Darwin, this position will work with the schools that deliver bilingual education ensuring that there is a coordinated and consistent approach to the delivery of bilingual programs. Bilingual education aims to extend and develop learners’ first language skills in listening and speaking, reading and writing and the student’s understanding of their own culture as well as the relationship between language and culture. The knowledge and skills that students learn in their first language assist in their learning of English.
1. Provide effective management and coordination in the delivery of all endorsed bilingual programs for the department.
2. Develop, fine tune and articulate a strategic framework for bilingual education and work with NT Board of Studies,
designated bilingual schools, regions and their communities to translate the framework into goals, priorities and plans that result in improvements in the quality of student outcomes in English literacy and numeracy.
3. Initiate and oversee department processes for the collection and analysis of student performance data in line with the T-9 Curriculum and Assessment Policy.
4. Conduct an audit process to moderate programs and confirm program outcomes.
5. Act as the key point of contact on bilingual education for the department across all education sectors.
6. Coordinate assessment of qualifications, professional learning programs and development of bilingual teachers, Assistant Teachers, linguists and instructors working in the bilingual education program.
7. Work collaboratively with School Support Services and across department structures to ensure high quality bilingual educational delivery and accountability for all students in the eight designated schools with approved and funded bilingual programs.
1. Demonstrated capacity to lead, manage and coordinate complex programs in diverse cultural and socio-economic settings.
2. Demonstrated knowledge, qualifications, experience and potential to successfully carry out the role of Principal Coordinator Bilingual Education across the department.
3. Demonstrated capacity to develop, lead and manage system, region and school driven school improvement strategies in literacy from transition to Year 12.
4. Proven ability to work within and across Indigenous cultures and successfully develop effective partnerships with schools, parents, the community and external agencies.
5. Registration with the Teacher Registration Board of the Northern Territory and a Working with Children Ochre Card or the ability to obtain.
1. Working knowledge of theories of language acquisition, bilingual learning and literacy. Successful experience teaching a Language other than English.
2. Familiarity with the wide variety of education contexts within the Northern Territory.
AN APPLICATION AND CURRICULUM VITAE IS NOT TO EXCEED A TOTAL OF 5 PAGES.
1. Visit www.education.nt.gov.au
2. Contact Laurie Andrew, Executive Director Schools North, 08 8999 5609 firstname.lastname@example.org
Apply Online: https://jobs.nt.gov.au/Applicant/CandidateApplicationScreens.aspx?RTF_ID=66018
Vacancy Closes: Monday 26 January 2015