Two new groups of publications are now available from SOAS.
1. LDD 6
Volume 6 of Language Documentation and Description is now available. This volume is a fully-refereed collection of papers dealing with:
- language documentation methodology
- sociolinguistics and pedagogy for endangered languages
- software applications
The papers were written specially written for the volume, and include the 2009 Hans Rausing Endangered Languages Project Annual Public Lecture by Bernard Spolsky on the revitalisation of Maori. They represent important contributions to the theory and practice of the field of language documentation by leading scholars and younger researchers.
- Editor’s Introduction — Peter K. Austin
- Rescuing Maori: the last 40 years — Bernard Spolsky
- Dying to be counted: the commodification of endangered languages in documentary linguistics — Lise M. Dobrin, Peter K. Austin and David Nathan
- Data collection methods for field-based language documentation — Friederike Lüpke
- Audio responsibilities in endangered languages documentation and archiving — David Nathan
- Language management for endangered languages: the case of Navajo — Bernard Spolsky
- Language documentation and pedagogy for endangered languages: a mutual revitalisation — David Nathan and Meili Fang
- Managing linguistic diversity in the church — Anicka Fast
- Filming languages: implications of indigenous video production for language maintenance in Mexico — Catherine Edwards
- Documenting grammatical tone using Toolbox: an evaluation of Buseman’s interlinearisation technique — Stuart McGill
Volume 6 costs £10.00 (postage and packaging is £2.50 extra). To order go to our website, download the order form, and follow the instructions.
2. FEL books
The Endangered Languages Academic Programme (ELAP) at SOAS has joined with the Foundation for Endangered Languages (FEL) to begin marketing and distribution of the series of publications produced by FEL over the past 10 years. There are 11 volumes available, covering a wide range of topics linking endangered languages to literacy, literature, land, language learning, media, multilingualism, migration and social impacts.
To celebrate this ELAP-FEL collaboration, from 15th June to 15th September 2009 each FEL volume is priced at £12, a saving of 40% off the normal retail price (usually £20). This offer is for a strictly limited time only.
To order your copies at this special price go to our website, download the order form, and follow the instructions.